Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Thank You


If you read this blog, you probably know that my Mom passed away.  It has been a heart breaking experience, but there are bright spots.  Feeling the goodwill and love she created reflected back on our family has been uplifting.  Saying thank you to everyone individually does not give the full context, so I wrote this instead.

Thank you for the text you sent when your found out she was sick, thank you for the email or Facebook message.  Thank you for the card.  Thank you for pausing during the day and remembering her, or thinking about our family.  Thanks for calling.

Thank you for telling me about how you felt when your dad or mom died.  How hard it was, and how it gets easier.  How you still hurt.  How it still makes you cry.  How their memory washes over you like a warm wind.  I understand now and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Thanks for reminding me that mom lives on through Kristen and I.

Thanks for sharing a memory about her.  You were a teacher, a student, a neighbor, someone she cooked for, someone she laughed with, someone she consoled during a difficult time, her cousin, her daughter, her mom, her husband, her friend.

Thanks for the flowers, they were beautiful.  Thanks for the grove of trees you planted.  Thanks for the book you sent.  Thanks for the donation you made in her name.  Thanks for coming by the house with groceries, or meals, or just to check in on us.

You lit a candle at St. Peter and Paul's in North Beach.  You had a mass said in her name.  You came and prayed with us the day she died only hours after I called.  You carried her coffin, you spoke at the church or at the reception.  You came to the funeral, you gave me a hug, we cried together, we shared a joke.  Thank you.

You told me we gave her "heaven on earth", you reminded me this experience builds character.  That helped a lot.

Hundreds of small acts over the last month demonstrated to me the love all of you felt for her, thank you for showing me how much you care.






No comments:

Post a Comment