Thursday, April 28, 2011

Where the pavement ends and the west begins...

My Economist magazine this month eulogizes the death of the California Dream. According to their editors, California is ill equipped to manage the changes that have happened in the economy since 2008.

What else is new? So much of life comes down to how you manage change. Entities that manage change well are the ones that have confidence in who they are, confidence that comes from experience and self knowledge.



The more time I spend down here, the more I appreciate the rural roots of California life. For instance, I went to dinner at the Far Western Tavern last night. They will close their doors in 2012 after 99 years of service to the farmers, ranchers, and military executives living in the northern tip of Santa Barbara county. This place is like going into a time machine and viewing what luxury dining was like for Californians at the turn of the 20th century.

This is the kind of place my Grandfather would have taken my Grandmother for their anniversary. I would call it Country Luxury. You can find these types of restaurants all over California, but they are a dying breed. This type of change happens so slowly, you don't realize you missed it until its gone.

First, the affable waiter brings pickled vegetables and homemade salsa. Next comes shrimp cocktail in a small silver bowl. From an impressive local wine list, we chose the Steele Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills. The main course was a "Bullseye" steak with fries and pinquinto beans, a local variety that was my favorite part of the meal. The ribeye was delicious and cooked to perfection. It was a killer meal in an authentic setting, a combination getting more rare in the "new" California that has emerged over the last two decades.

Leaving the restaurant, I was happy that I made the trip to experience this place before it disappears. It motivated me to blog about it and establish a record of my visit there.

In the end, that's the key to managing change; remember where you came from and evolve as elegantly as possible.

Good Luck California.

No comments:

Post a Comment