Saturday, April 3, 2010

Farmers Market - The Crown Jewel of SLO


I like hot dogs. I can eat a sleeve of pringles during a commercial break. When we lived in San Francisco, I ate out constantly, and I didn't have the healthiest habits. SLO farmers market changed that.

The central coast is farm country. Neat rows of crops and cows cover most of the landscape here. Half the population drives a white pickup truck and wears a shiny large belt buckle (not because they think it makes them look hip).

The benefit of having farms as your neighbors is exceptional produce. Even a top ramen eating junkie like me notices the quality difference. The locavore movement is in overdrive down here. There are too many markets to count in the area, you can hit one every day of the week if you wanted to.

The SLO market is the alpha dog of the pack. It covers 6 blocks downtown. Every local group or small business has a booth. You can browse long blocks of produce, flowers, fruit, artisan cheese, honey, olive oil and other natural goodies. Several bands play in the side streets along the main route. There is a bounce house and various activities for the shorties.

What did people do with their kids before bounce houses where everywhere?

If you are some kind of farmers market aficionado, you need to check this one out. It has to be the largest, highest quality market in California.

And there is BBQ. Good lord these people know how to BBQ. Pulled pork sandwiches, tri tip, corn, beans, corn bread - its all here and it's incredible.

With all these food options, you can help but eat healthier and locally. The fresh veggies are dialing up my sauce to unprecedented levels of goodness. My salsa POPS with freshness and heat. I've even planted a garden in my backyard (no belt buckle yet).


If I can change my eating habits, anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment